Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Reality of Money versus Veganism (aka why I haven’t been posting as much lately)

I’ve posted my own little tidbit on the affordability of Veganism and how to follow it on a budget but the reality is that it’s not always that easy. I recently saw a post about someone paying $300 for groceries within three days and a response by another Tumblr about how this person should “lay off the processed stuff” but not everyone is fortunate enough to live in a place where you can spend $300 on food and it lasts the entire month. I’m not bashing this person or trying to put them on the spot given the fact that I didn’t include any pointless screenshots but when it comes down to it, money is scarce for some people.

I am a prime example of someone who struggling to follow veganism as well as eating healthy when money is on the low side. Going to a farmer’s market to buy fruits and vegetable, while yes this is cheaper because I have done it before, is not so easy when you have to choose between transportation money or food.  You can easily get boxed into a situation where your only option is frozen vegetables because they’re the cheapest thing you can find and fruit, fresh or frozen, becomes a luxury.

If you’re on the poorer end of the global financial spectrum, you’re doomed to a life of pre-packaged meals and frozen everything and it’s something that I have to fight against every single day because I refuse to be pushed into this bubble. I’ve had to choose between going out and enjoying a day with a friend or being able to eat the next day. Every time I go to the store or the farmers market, I’m constantly calculating and recalculating, adding the tax and rounding to the next dollar to try and stretch my money as much as possible to have a healthy and sustainable vegan meal.  I might want Almond Butter but then you realize that regular old processed peanut butter is two dollars cheaper and your only choice becomes a lose, lose situation.
There are so many things I wish to buy and tons of items I want to buy in bulk but I have to make choices that will stretch my money as far as possible because who knows when the next time it is when I will have it. 

The whole point of this post is to let you guys know why I haven't been posting as much and it’s because money is a factor for me and I can’t afford to post on an everyday basis. I’m in the process of making what I can make in advance so that when I do post I have some content that will last me a while until I can afford to bake new stuff again.

Thank you to those that continue to follow me and my newer followers as well! You guys make this blog worth continuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment