Thursday, March 28, 2013

Snickerdoodle Cookie with Peanut Butter filling



I have this yummy Snickerdoodle Cookie with Peanut Butter filling recipe for you today! I know I’m on a no sugar lifestyle these days but I had to do a recipe that would use up the rest of the organic evaporated cane juice I bought so I made these! They are a COMPLETE INDULGENCE and nothing healthy at all! It’s also a three part recipe which is a bit time consuming but they are worth the effort. Most of the Snickerdoodle recipes I have seen include the cream of tartar but I didn’t have any on hand that’s why it’s not included on the recipe but if you have it, feel free to add it! I would recommend adding 1 ½ teaspoons of it but they do taste amazing without it!

I have come to realize that trying to go about not eating sugar is so hard and not because I can’t have anything sweet because I can but rather the fact that sugar is in everything! I know this isn’t a surprise to anyone but I’m glad I cook about 97% of what I eat and only pre-packaged things like wraps and bread sometimes when I’m not in the mood to make my own. I really do think it’s beneficial for more people to make most of what they eat and I know it’s not possible for everyone but I have feel 10 times better making my own food than buying processed junk.


Where I live at the moment, there is a complete and utter lack of cooking and most people just eat pre-packaged pizzas, French fries and everything essentially and they don’t understand why you have to cook three times a day and honestly it baffles me. Growing up, my mom mostly made everything; yeah we had pre-packaged food sometimes but mostly snacks not as actual meals. I find it sad when you've come to a point where prepackaged food is the norm and actually making something is too hard of a task for people.
I find it comforting to know what it’s in the food I eat and I love to make my own versions of foods. If I can financially get to a point where I don’t have to buy ANY pre-packaged items and make my own food entirely that will be amazing. It is definitely a goal of mine.

I hope you’re all having a great day!

- Alexis ♥

Snickerdoodle Cookies with Peanut Butter Filling
  • 2 ¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 ½ cups evaporated cane juice
  • 1 cup vegan butter
  • ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon molasses
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Coating
  • ½ cup evaporated cane juice
  • 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
Filling
  • ¾ cup cold peanut butter
Directions

Pre-heat your oven to 350°F.

Take your peanut butter and chill it until it’s really cold and manageable. Oil your hands just a bit and roll into teaspoon sized balls and then freeze them until you’re done with everything else you’re making.

Combine the cinnamon and extra evaporated cane juice in a small bowl and set aside.

In a medium sized bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy and then beat in the applesauce, vanilla extract and molasses.

Whisk together all of your dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add them to your wet ingredients a cup at a time until everything becomes well combined.

It will be a wet dough but it should be manageable. If it’s too wet add another ¼ cup flour and then wrap your dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Set up your peanut butter balls, chilled dough and cinnamon sugar coated on your counter. Oil your hands a little bit and take a tablespoon sized amount of dough and flatten it, add the peanut butter ball and lift up the sides until you cover the ball completely and then roll in your hands to create a smoothed ball shape out of the dough. Roll it in the cinnamon sugar and then place on a parchment sheet lined cookie sheet. Repeat until your finish with all of the cookies.

Once you’re done with all of the cookies, take any round flat surface and oil the bottom of it and then flatten the cookies out just a bit until they become flat circles, not too flat though just press on them a little bit.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges have firmed up, the middle will remain soft until they cool.

Tip: the longer you let them sit to cool, the more the flavors meld together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment