Friday, March 22, 2013

Grapefruit Cookies!


I never thought to make grapefruit cookies before but I had one lying around and figured they would be similar to lemon cookies and they are! They’re quite delicious! I used evaporate cane juice in this recipes and it worked out well, I find it to be a bit less sweet than the more refined sugar. If you want to use regular sugar you can and you can substitute from cup for cup. I used applesauce in this recipe instead of flax egg because I find it tends to dry out baked goods which is why I don’t use it as much. There are some fun spices and flavoring in this recipe like ginger, cardamom and Fiori di silica. Fiori di Silica lends citrus vanilla notes to whatever you put it in and takes these cookies to a whole other level! I suggest buying it but you can use regular Vanilla extract as well.


I’ll be attending the Veggie Pride Parade this Sunday! I’ve never been but since it’s another vegetarian/vegan event I wanted to check it out. Although I hope it’s less obnoxious than I think it will be haha. I only say that because it’s basically a parade of people telling over people to go vegetarian, which is great, but can be highly overbearing. I’m sure there will be tons of great people there though. I’ll be sure to post about it either Sunday evening or Monday afternoon!

- Alexis♥

Grapefruit Citrus Cookies
  • 1 ¾ cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 cup organic evaporated cane juice + extra to sprinkle on top
  • ½ cup vegan butter
  • ¼ cup applesauce
  • 4 tablespoons grapefruit juice
  • 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia extract (you can substitute with vanilla)
  • ½ teaspoon cardamom
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • A pinch of ginger
Directions
Pre-heat your oven to 350°F.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and then beat in the applesauce, grapefruit juice, and the zest and Fiori di silica.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices and add half, mix it in, then add the other half until everything is well combined. It won’t look like traditional cookie batter, it’ll be wet. This is fine.

Lightly oil your hands and take the batter, a tablespoon at a time, and roll into a ball in your hand before placing them on a parchment lined cookie sheet. When you’re done rolling all of the cookies sprinkle them with a little bit of the evaporated cane juice.

Bake for 8-10 or until they turn a light golden brown around the edges.

Let cool and then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment