Saturday, January 19, 2013

Quick Vanilla Cinnamon Pudding!


This is a simple and easy alternative to the more complex vegan pudding recipes out there. I wanted a recipe that was simple and that most people would already have the ingredients. Also, this recipe is easily adaptable so just add in your favorite flavors and enjoy!

When I was in Costa Rica, my host family would always make a wide variety of fruit juices/smoothies that was served with every meal and I was craving them so much lately so, I decided to re-create my favorite one; guava! I searched all over NYC and randomly found some baby guava in Chinatown and I bought a pound and whipped up some guava juice! It's the simplest recipe, just take the guavas and cut off the top and bottom and process them in a food processor and you have a guava juice smoothie! I added a tablespoon or less of agave because I like the natural sweetness of the guava. There will be some pulp in this so if you hate pulp, I'd suggest straining it before drinking. Enjoy!

image

- Alexis ♥

Quick Cinnamon Vanilla pudding
  • 1 ½ cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
  • ¼ -½ cup sugar (you can use agave or a sweetener of your choice)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • ½ tablespoon vegan butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
Directions

Mix together the cornstarch and the ½ cup of cornstarch and set aside.

In a medium sized pan, whisk together all of your other ingredients the remaining milk, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and salt and heat on a medium-low flame until bubbles start to form around the edges but not boiling. When it reaches this stage, put the flame on low and add in the cornstarch mixture that you set aside earlier, whisking constantly as to not get chunks of cornstarch in the pudding.

After fully incorporating all of the ingredients, put the flame back on medium-low and whisk it every so often until it thickens then take it off heat and add in the vanilla and butter.

Cool it down and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment