Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Nut Free Spinach Avocado Pesto!


Hey guys! I wanted to eat something light and healthy so I made this Spinach Avocado Pesto! It is nut free, raw and processed vegan cheese free! I’m not a fan of the overly processed vegan cheeses so I never use them. This “sauce” is creamy and has that tangy saltiness that Parmesan gives the traditional pesto. I've never actually had pesto before so this is my version based on what I see traditional pesto consists of minus the fresh basil! You can even use this as a dip and it would be amazing. I hope you enjoy it!



I can’t wait for the warm weather to arrive and this dish reminds me of summer! I've been spending my days brainstorming recipes and looking at culinary schools! I’m actually on break from my school at the moment and during my time off I've been contemplating my major and I really think I might go to culinary school for baking and pastry arts because I would LOVE to open up a vegan bakery one day! If it was possible to start an online home based bakery in NYC, I would start it in a heartbeat.

Enough of my rambling! Check out the recipe!

- Alexis ♥

Spinach Avocado Pesto (Nut Free)
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1 cup cannellini beans (I used dried ones that I soaked overnight)
  • ¼ cup olive oil (or depending on the consistency that you want)
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 2 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons basil
  • 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • ½ teaspoon parsley
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
Directions

Put the avocado, spinach, cannellini beans, garlic cloves, lemon juice, basil, salt, parsley and pepper in the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. With the food processor running, drizzle in the olive oil until it creates the consistency that you want. (I wanted mine to be thicker so it was like a paste.)

Garnish with julienned spinach or basil and enjoy over warm spaghetti!

No comments:

Post a Comment