Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Vegan Baked Jelly Doughnut Muffins rolled in Cinnamon Sugar!


These little muffin shaped doughnuts are delicious and remind me of Thanksgiving haha. They’re definitely not low in calorie or fat but you always need to indulge sometimes! I actually decided to make them muffins because I don’t own a doughnut pan but they taste just as good in the different shape. By the way, don’t try to use a preserve for  the filling because if it has any thick chunks of fruit in it, it will be hard to pipe into the muffins. I hope you enjoy them!

image

Yesterday was one of the craziest things I’ve ever done and mostly just because it was so excruciatingly cold outside! When my boyfriend and I set out to walk from Queens to Brooklyn we were not prepared for the long journey ahead! The walking itself wasn’t the hard but the freezing, blistering cold made everything ten times harder and I could barely feel my legs the last leg of the walk. As soon as I got home yesterday I went straight to bed! Haha

image

It was amazing and it was great to end the day successful and accomplished! When we got to the end of the Marine Parkway Bridge and stepped into Brooklyn a great sense of accomplishment swept over us and pushed us to keep walking further. It really felt like a crazy journey because we walked through rocks, sand, over three bridges and constantly went uphill and downhill. I would do it again but definitely on a nice summer day!


- Alexis ♥

image

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ cups flour
  • 1 ¼ cups sugar
  • ½ cup cinnamon applesauce
  • ¼ cup butter (plus 5 tablespoons melted butter to coat the muffins in)
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ teaspoon allspice
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
For the filling:
  • 1 cup strawberry jam
For the topping:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions

Preheat your oven to 350° F

Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt and set aside.

Beat together the butter, applesauce, apple cider vinegar and oil and then slowly add the dry ingredients, a cup at a time, until fully incorporated.

Butter or oil the pan you plan on using (I used little ramekins) and fill it up ½ - ¾ of the way, make sure not to overfill.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool completely before filling with the strawberry jam and rolling in cinnamon sugar.

 I filled the muffins by using a chopstick and creating a hole in the bottom of the muffin and then using a  a zip lock bag to pipe the jelly until I felt it pushing back.  

*Make sure you make a big enough hole to pipe in the filling.
*Do not overfill the muffins because they will burst from the pressure.

Coat the muffins in the melted butter and then roll in the cinnamon sugar, shake off the excess.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment